Friday, March 30, 2012

Hey Doc, why so glum?

You know, it can be so much fun reporting good news. Yesterday I was in super high spirits because the prognosis had so dramatically flipped and in such an unusual way. It makes for a really great story! The irony that a second cancer turns out to be good news was a pretty irresistible story device. But, dear readers, the other shoe may have dropped.

Dr. Scott, my Hematologist made a surprise visit to my room yesterday afternoon. I presumed that he had not yet heard the good news because he looked a bit pale and slightly less joyous than the last doctor who walked through that door. Rather than assume the the four legged mammal with a mane was a horse, Dr. Scott had waited to see the final pathology report on the lymph node biopsy. Turns out it was a zebra.

Yes it was indeed lymphoma, a second primary cancer, but it was not the expected kind that neatly explains my other symptoms and gives me an overall positive prognosis. It's called, "acute lymphoblastic lymphoma". Dr. Scott says that we need to set aside thinking about he esophagus tumor for a bit and focus on the new cancer because between the two of them, it is the more aggressive one. Man, that Dr. Scott is a real buzz kill!

He wasted no time and pretty much unfurled his bone marrow biopsy tool kit right there in my room. I'll spare the graphic details except to say that to get a bone marrow sample, you have to poke a sharp object inside of a big bone and those suckers (bones) are pretty hard on the outside.

I was also squeezed into the MRI schedule for the evening. They needed to look at my brain and although I have not yet read the brochure on acute lymphoblastic lymphoma, I am presuming that the purpose of an MRI is not to see how smart I am.

Since I am no longer hooked up to tubes, I got to ride the wheelchair down to radiology. You've all probably had MRIs but it was all new to me.

They start out by telling you that it is real loud , like jack hammers but the good news is that they give you headphones so you can listen to music. The choices were, Christian rock, country, jazz, classic rock, oldies or classical. This did not bode well! I chose classical because I thought they couldn't mess that one up... but I was wrong. Do you remember that scene in A Clockwork Orange where they make him listen to his beloved Beethoven while administering this drug that would make him sick whenever he had an association with that music? I couldn't stop thinking about that.

First of all, imagine an AM radio playing elevator music through airline headphones. That is the fidelity we are talking about. They tell you that the space is really confining and that it is important not to panic. And then they give you a panic button. So, of course, all I can think about is "not panicking". And then... they were not kidding about it being loud and obnoxious. And just when you get used to that loud obnoxious sound, it changes to a different loud obnoxious sound. And it has a rhythm and that rhythm is completely different from the rhythm of the music which you can barely hear. You know how when you walk while listening to music, you have to adjust your stride to the rhythm of the music? Well you can't adjust the rhythm of the MRI so the music only adds to the stress. Don't panic, don't panic! (Note to inventors... electronic music that adjusts to and matches the rhythm of the MRI)

After I was back in my room, Abby made a surprise visit and we watched "The Office" together and we laughed and began adjusting to the new normal. Whatever that might be.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow, this is a dizzying roller-coaster you're on -- and with bad music. I'm glad you have a great team of doctors (except the glum one) Take one day at a time. I hope today is a good one.

Nancy (again) said...

Geez, didn't mean to sound so glum (to overuse a word). I blame it on Dr. Scott and the pouring rain. But I found a bright spot! Your blog is revealing what a good writer you are, Chuck. Maybe the one good thing that comes out of this ordeal is that you'll write and produce a movie (with Alice and Graham's help) even better than 50/50. Joseph Gordon-Levitt would play you, of course. (Who would Seth Rogen play?) Keep good notes!

Ann Willey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Willey said...

Figuring this comment thing out. I think I've got it this time. Just wanted to say, laughter with a dear one is good medicine. I hope today is better. No pokes or scary noises anyway!

The Vissers said...

T. James just sent us a link to your blog. Remember how we struggled to find good subject matter for our short stories and scripts back at Willie J ? We were so young and naive, so full of hope and possibilities. And now, the subject matter is survival and you write with the insight and wit of a seasoned story teller. Be strong friend. We are thinking of you, sending you our most positive vibes. This plot line will arc, but we believe you are a hero of great strength and compassion. We will continue to follow your narrative and root with all our heart for the hero. Strength to your swords arm Chuck ! With Peace, Randy and Janis

Teresa L. Thome said...

I have to say, I had the exact same experience in the MRI... In terms of the music. I too picked classical, was told it was going to be loud, but that the music would help. Who writes their material? Thinking of you. Hug.