Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Next cycle begins

Monday marked the first day in a new chemo cycle.  This one will be same as the first two except I will be taking the proper dose of Xeloda at home. (2 pills twice a day instead of the erroneous one pill twice a day I was taking. If you look at my previous post you can read it right there on the empty bottle).  So far so good.  Credit the good drugs they give you on infusion day.

3 devices which are capable of accessing the Internet
I went to the chemo lounge alone this time because I wanted fewer distractions as I attempted to do my taxes.  I keep putting them off, the deadline not being till October and all, but I'll just feel better to have them behind me and it looks like I will be getting a refund anyway.  Unfortunately, I am perfectly capable procrastination given all my tools of self distraction within an arms reach.  There were more interesting conversations going on around me including a woman celebrating her final day of chemotherapy.  Guests kept arriving to congratulate her, many bringing treats which were also graciously offered to be shared with me.  Taxes all of a sudden seemed less important.

I had yet another new nurse; Nurse Linda.  I'd seen her around a lot and she seemed like a hard-working, experienced and attentive nurse from afar and up close she proved all those things plus a friendly demeanor.  My blood results showed that my borderline white cell count had improved slightly but Linda figured by the end of a week of intense chemo I may be ready for a booster shot they can give you that will improve white cell production.  My friend Laurie had received it and she tells me it can make your bones sore.  I get the shot next Monday and then I'll know for sure.  In the mean time, avoid sick people and wash hands with anti-bacterial goop.

Linda also talked to me some more about my nausea issues.  We discussed the idea that it could be related to hydration.  A dehydrated condition could add to nausea.  This might also explain why I feel so good on infusion days because they hydrate the heck out of you.  And it is true when I'm nauseous that I also don't like drinking water.  I'm going to squirt extra water into my j-tube on a regular basis and the infusion center invited me to call ahead and get I.V. hydration any time I think I need it.  We also talked about halving my dose of the synthetic marijuana based Marinol.  I did not like the zoned out feeling I was getting from it and quit taking it a couple weeks ago.  Maybe taking half as much will give me the desired effect.

I liked Linda and, like all the other nurses, she told me that Lacks try to hook you up with a consistent nurse through all of chemotherapy so they can better follow your story.  Jana will continue to be my Friday nurse (I've had her twice) but Linda is going on vacation the next couple of weeks and so I'll be passed on yet again.

So taxes are not yet done.  The "being alone during chemo gambit" was a fail.  I'm still scrutinizing my credit card receipts for business purchases.

When I got home, I attempted to slice in half a Marinol capsule, only to discover that it was a liquid inside.  There would be no easy way to take a half dose.  Maybe freeze before slicing?

I made a nice dinner of burritos and salad and successfully ate most of what was on my plate and I still felt pretty good.  This morning I felt the nausea coming on slightly but the anti-nausea pills seemed to do their job.  I managed a whole container of Greek yogurt with fresh pineapple added.  Now I'm off to physical therapy where I will once again sheepishly admit to My P.T. (Cali) that I slacked on my stretches this week.  I hope she punishes me good!

1 comment:

Lee Ferraro said...

Distractions? ummmm... Chuck, it seems you pay attention to the nurses! ;)

Save some of those half doses of Marinol for me when I visit (in just a few weeks!).

Lee