Friday, August 31, 2012

Excellent outcome

I just returned from my appointment with Dr. Scott following up on my recent PET scan.  My pre-appointment procedures were less than stellar.  I really missed Dawn when they first needed to take some blood.  Dawn was on lunch break and her sub could not manage to get blood from my right arm and each poke adjustment stung pretty good.  The left arm proved better (though it stung too) and I was a pathetic sight with bandage-covered cotton balls on each arm.  And then at the weigh-in we discovered I'd dropped another 5 pounds.  Mary predicted this and my current belt size backed it up.

Dr. Scott had all good news.  The PET scan revealed no cancer activity whatsoever.  The liver tumor had not grown and also did not light up at all on the scan.  Nothing abnormal lit up in my chest either.  The chemotherapy was clearly doing what it was supposed to and Dr.Scott said that considering the doses, I was handling it very well too.  Beyond the nausea, none of the more serious side effects had manifested.

He decided to give me an additional week off chemo to try and build up some weight and then I will start again on September 10 with two more rounds (5 weeks) but at a lower dosage of the nasty infused chemicals. 

I wish I felt like I could eat more food!  It seems progressive in that I feel like eating less as the day wears on.  I'm going to up my overnight liquid food pump diet to 4 cans and try harder to eat more lunch and dinner.  Solid foods are still difficult so I'll be concentrating on cream soups, fruit and my new favorite beverage, V8.  I need to work on my exercise regimen as well.  I need to get on my bike more often while the season still permits it.

13 comments:

Brian Peterson said...

Great news Chuck!

Brian Peterson said...

Great news Chuck!

David Hast said...

I'm so glad to hear this! Wonderful news!!!

Betty said...

So very glad to hear your good news. Hoooraaayyy!

Laurie Cirivello said...

This is outstanding news! Yay!

Laurie Cirivello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Willey said...

Wonderful news!

Matt DeVries said...

So happy and thankful for great news, Chuck!

barb hansen said...

So relieved to read this news, Chuck. Your attitude is amazing - I'd call it "grace" but it can also be pure determination, good karma or whatever.May it simply continue. My peace and care are sent your way.

Teresa L. Thome said...

FANTASTIC!!!! WOOT WOOT. Hugs, love and light!

henry2u said...

I gotta be honest, Chuck......this news makes me very happy! I miss you old friend and would love to spend some "in person" time with you if you feel up to it....

Kellie said...

Great news Chuck!!! Been thinking of you lately and happy to see some positives in your life!

Steve Stonehouse said...

Hello Cousin. Great to read the good news of the PET scan report. We are back in the DC area and have fond memories of the last time we saw you when you stopped by our apartment in Arlington 6 years ago. Would be great to see you again. Thanks for keeping us posted. Love to your whole crew. Steve