Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dawn, go away! I'm no good for you.

 First a little theme music.  I'll wait while you cue it up.

I have mixed feelings about finally getting my power port installed.  It will be fantastic to get rid of arm IVs for good.  But I'll sort of miss my regular encounters with Dawn, the Phlebotomist at the Lacks Center.  She gets major points for being a little bit kooky; something I like from anyone who sticks needles into me.  But her very best qualities are that she's fast and nearly painless.  And I can judge because I've had sooooo many pokes this year.  Aside from a few clinkers, most of the nurses and phlebotomists are very good at what they do.  But Dawn is the best.  She's in and out before you can say, "can you find a good vein?"  When Dawn say's, "Here comes the little poke."  She means the little poke.  I am in awe of her mad skills.  I'll truly miss her sweetness, light touch and goofy commentary.
Dawn, the super awesome Phlebotomist at Lacks Cancer Center

So the alternative to having an arm IV is the power port.  It's a little capsule implanted just below the collar bone, under the skin, that allows anyone drawing blood or dumping chemistry to have direct access to the circulatory system.  All the cool kids in the chemotherapy lounge have them.  And on Friday, I'll have one too.  It will go nicely with my new iPad.

5 comments:

Laurie Cirivello said...

You will be pleased to have it. Trust me. It is a good thing.
And Dawn (she's indeed a sweetie) will still offer to to the occasional blood draw, as only RNs can access the port.

David Hast said...

I hesitate to ask, Chuck, but since you brought up the iPad re your power port: Is there an app for that?

Helen Lehman said...

That rocks! That is much better than multiple pokes.

Laurie Cirivello said...

By the way...has Dawn seen this? You gotta make sure she does. The sountrack just makes me giggle. It'll make her week (or month! Or year!)

Janet said...

Congrats on the port! I hope it makes your life a bit easier and less painful, even if it is less full of Dawn.