Thursday, June 7, 2012

The treatment

Well, first the good news... that awful inpatient chemotherapy regimen is kicked to the curb.  Also, no more surgery.  The bad news is that the reason they are dumping the radical chemo is that they are no longer trying to "cure" me.  From here on out they will only "treat" me.  The difference being that the goal of treatment is to slow the cancer growth and give me the best quality life possible in the time remaining.  I don't know how much time that is and neither do they.  It all depends on how I respond to the much milder chemo.

So that starts next week and involves intravenous treatment on Mondays and Fridays and swallowing capsules on the other days.  I'll do that for 2 weeks and then have a week off and then they start over.  Side effects include orange pee, tingly fingers, susceptibility to infection, possible affected hearing (high frequency loss) and nausea.  I get to keep my hair; and I'm the one guy who doesn't care about that!

Dr. Scott chose a particular treatment that mainly is geared for the esophageal cancer (proper name: metastatic adenocarcinoma) but also has some known effect on lymphoma.  This is the closest he can come to the two birds with one stone approach.  He explained how surgery on the liver is pointless because it is fairly major and would set my health back in the wrong direction.  The metastatic part of the metastatic adenocarcinoma means that the adenocarcinoma cancer cells are floating around my body like little spaceships.  Sure, they have set up a tiny colony in my liver but wiping that out also wipes out a good chunk of the healthy portions.  The chemicals are designed to kill the spaceships and the colony... or at least slow them down.

We still have lots of questions. Nobody really has both of these cancers at once.  And so we don't have an estimate of how much longer I've got based on averages.  Really I'm not ready for that kind of information yet, anyway.  But we now have a diagnosis and a treatment plan.  There is no known scientific cure so at some point we'll probably be looking at all the auxiliary treatments like special diets and miracle elixirs and laying on of hands.  Maybe science will come up with something new or perhaps I'll just plain confound the doctors and get better despite all expectations.

This news is not unexpected so we are not devastated today any more than we have been since all this began.  There was plenty of levity in the exam room as Alice and I watched Mary try to transcribe all the ridiculous, polysyllabic, chemical names and their effects as Dr. Scott rattled them off.

Afterwards, the three of us (Mary, Alice, and I) went to Yesterdog to see if a Cheddardog-plus-pickles-washed-down-with root-beer treatment would have any effect.  It remains to be seen.

11 comments:

pwziegler said...

Chuck I continue to pray and send you love and light. Your outlook is amazing. I look forward to seeing you soon. Blessings.

Teresa L. Thome said...

love, love, love you all.

Carolyn Stonehouse said...

I'm pleased to report that I even know what Yesterdog's is. Tim routinely laments their absence from the east coast landscape. Hoping that that treatment IS helpful.

(And still praying.)

C.

no name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guy said...

Jeez Josephat!!! Serenity now, already!!!

This sounds like it will be a most challanging "treatment" plan, even if it is not the in-patient, radical kind.

I do hope that at least having the plan and diagnosis give you some sense of relief. How are you feeling anyway?

I know I am not a doctor but I do hope those yesterdogs don't have any of that pink slime in them - for all of your sakes.

Thanks for serious update. We hope to visit you later this month.

Bob Toft said...

I"m collecting energy from all around me and beaming it your way. Metaphysically, I am by your side. Physically I can be there in 20 minutes, when ever you might call.

Lee Ferraro said...

Chuck,
You're in my thoughts often and wish I weren't so physically distant. I keep asking "how can this all be with someone who has been and appears so healthy and has such a positive attitude?"

Frustrated to not have words of comfort for you. All of us following your story are witnessing grace, humor and goodness and I believe we're all better for following what you're sharing with us.

Thanks and please keep writing.

Lee

Pfleghaar said...

Chuck I was just thinking to myself how good you look in your photos, and then I read this latest post. You have an amazing amount of humor and grace through this that it brings water to my eyes., but it's just not fair. Sending good thoughts for you and Mary, we love you...Michael and Tommy

Foster said...

Hi Chuck,
Sending good vibes from Minni-sota.
You might want to try Tomorr-erdogs.
Also from what I have heard pink slime is
completely harmless and even good for you.

I would like to confer with you regarding video production as I am trying to document current project and could use your insights and strategies.
I will be in touch -

Hope we see you at the birthday party

Best to you, Mary and kids from Foster, Val, and Serena and Minni-sota

R/ said...

We are thinking of you and sighing deeply. Keep writing. Please confound the doctors for us.

In Peace Always,
Janis and Randy
Gray, Maine

Maggie said...

Chuck, you continue to amaze us. You are in our thoughts and we send GOOD VIBRATIONS. Maggie