Friday, June 1, 2012

Not the news we were hoping for

Since I've already posted today, I'll keep this one short.  I got the call from Dr. McCahill.  Dr. Scott was on the road to an oncology conference in Chicago and he asked Dr. McCahill to relay the news that the pathology report from the liver biopsy came in this morning and the test showed positive for the esophageal cancer cells.  This brings me up to stage 4 for esophageal cancer.  Not what anyone wanted to hear.

This likely means they will shelve the treatment for lymphoma for the time being and concentrate on a chemotherapy approach to the esophageal cancer.  Radiation will not be an option since the liver is involved.  I'll know more when Dr. Scott returns.  We meet on June 7 to discuss next steps.


3 comments:

Lee Ferraro said...

sorry to read this news this morning, Chuck. fortunately it is the time with chemo so it seems there's a much higher percentage of the chemo being effective and perhaps quite quickly.

I know I don't have to tell you this but keep the positive spirit you've had from the beginning - it is the best drug there is! And please keep writing, I'm grateful to be included even at such a distance.

Bob Toft said...

Hi chuck. Still pulling for you, buddy. Keep up the fight. I'm going for an MRI this afternoon for possible brain stem tumor. We both have to stay on the positive side of life.
Big hugs.

Barbara H. said...

Chuck, Glad your girls are home, perhaps you are doing a bit of Festival. I went home F after the rain wouldn't stop but am again on last shift today. Your latest news is a real letdown to you and all of us who love you. Know of my care for you and my prayers of blessing on one very good man. Was tossing 5o Jubilee cards yesterday due to needing to move out of St. James - closing the parish plant - and again read your lovely note to me. Means the world. Peace.