Thursday, October 18, 2012

And the CT scan says....

... all good news.  The CT scan results were, as expected, positive in that they showed nothing new and no new growth on the liver tumor.  I'd quote the report except they neglected to do the printout in my haste to get out of there.  It was the last appointment of the day.

In other good news, I just learned (while I was at the store buying feminine products for my ladies) that the Detroit Tigers swept the playoffs and are headed to the World Series.  I've seen none of it so far.  And if I were superstitious, I should probably consider not watching the World Series so as not to jinx the streak.  I only watched part of two different Tiger regular season games this year and they lost both.

So where do I go from the best possible CT scan results moving forward?  I wanted Dr. Scott to talk of some far off future where they'd check in again to make sure everything was still cool.  Instead, he talked about wanting to keep a close eye on me.  Maybe a chest x-ray and blood test in three to four weeks.  Three weeks!?  Really!!?  I was thinking it would be sometime after the first of the year.

The thing is, he's waiting for the Lymphoblasic Lymphoma to raise it's ugly head. The lion's share of the summer chemo was mostly about the metastasized esophageal cancer.  He chose a regimen that took a swipe at the lymphoma but to really attack and kill it is a two-year, intensive chemo blitzkrieg.  Quality of life would be very low and in all likelihood, I would not survive the metastasized esophageal cancer in that period.  He recommended I go with the "quality of life" and I am totally ready for that right now.  Quality of life, here I come!
You thought I was kidding regarding my whereabouts during the final innings of the Tiger's playoff sweep?

4 comments:

Laurie Cirivello said...

Excellent news about the scan...but you said you felt that would be the result. Still a reason to smile.
The other? Sheer speculation and "keeping an eye on" means just that. In the scheme of things appointments are pretty short (though I realize that with a certain oncologist you have to add in 90 minutes of waiting time usually). The rest of the time should be spent any way you choose. Big hugs.

Thom Bland said...

Quality wins -- still keeping you in my thoughts, Chuck. Your sense of humor is probably the best medicine. Speaking of the Tigers, a FB friend who lives in Tampa shared the link re: TB Rays relief pitcher, Fernando Rodney, winning the "Comeback Player of the Year" award. I'm always glad when someone makes a comeback, but I blame Mr. Rodney for my enlarged prostate and related issues caused by the stress of watching him pitch for Detroit.

Alejandro said...

This picture makes you look like a BOSS.

Teresa L. Thome said...

Just playing catch up on all things... which includes checking in on Crowwatcher.

I am doing my best to avoid the Tigers right now. Can't stand the thought of them losing... despite the fact that I was shocked they made it in to the playoffs.

Anyway, should you be out and about some time this week, give me a ring and stop on by. I'll be all alone in the office. PZ not coming in this week and I'm sure I'll be jonesing for some good company.

Hope to see you soon!

tt