Saturday, July 14, 2007

Why Do People Hate Michael Moore?

Mary and I just got back from seeing the movie Sicko. With all the publicity the film is getting, I was somewhat shocked that the film was only playing in one theatre in town and that was the one at the Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville. I generally won't travel to that part of town. The Theatre was quite full despite it being the first Saturday night to see Harry Potter. At the end, something happened that you hardly ever see any more... the audience broke into spontaneous applause.

The film makes the point that the difference between US culture and the culture of those countries who have adopted socialized medicine is that the people in the other countries demand it. Here they are trained that Michael Moore is a big, rude man who hates America. If you aren't rich and you hate Michael Moore then you are just plain gullible or stupid. Of course Michael Moore uses irony to make his films more entertaining and thus pushes the anal retentives to pick apart the examples and throw out the whole argument rather than recognize a creative approach to storytelling about a particular truth.

It's a good film for anyone interested in improving quality of life.

In other news, this morning's newspaper says Grand Valley is raising tuition 9.9%.

1 comment:

Aliceroo said...

Hey Dad,
Just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying reading your blog. I saw Harry Potter last night, and I've always agreed with you that the movies are more about squeezing in the popular plot than making an actual good movie, but I do think they seem to be improving each time...especially the acting.
I want to see Sicko, but I'm not going to count on being able to see it here.