Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hurry up! No, wait!!

For all who asked about the dates and details regarding my upcoming chemotherapy stay, I told you that I would know today.  Well, I was wrong.

I met with Dr. Scott this morning armed with a list of questions regarding the chemotherapy.  One of my first questions was, "How did my recent CT scan look?"  It was quickly evident that he had not yet looked at the results.  He pulled them up on his computer and spent some time studying them.  Then he did a quick exam and abruptly left the room.

We waited about 15 minutes for him to return.  When he came back, he explained that the spot on my liver that had appeared in the first PET scan at the beginning of all this had grown a bit larger. 

To refresh your memory, that original scan showed hot spots on my liver and mediastinum areas.  If they were proven positive for esophageal cancer, then I would be at stage 4 and therefore "untreatable" and ineligible for the surgery.   They did a liver biopsy first because it was easier to access.  The biopsy came up negative.  Then the mediastinum biopsy revealed lymphoma.  The good news was that the two biopsies proved the esophageal cancer was limited to my esophagus and therefore I was only stage 3 for the esophageal cancer and thus eligible to have my esophagus removed.

Now the liver biopsy has been cast into question.  Could it be that it was negative because they completely missed the abnormal area?  I had asked them at the time, "If it is not cancer, then what is it?" and I had never really received a straight answer.  I also remember that it was a real tricky biopsy and they had to do it twice because he was not sure he got it the first time.  I had to be awake and hold a deep breath because they needed my inflated lungs to push the top of my liver out from behind my ribs.  I remember the doctor saying, "If I don't get it this time, I'm not going in for a third try."  Had we all just gladly accepted the good news without questioning the validity of the result?

So the bottom line is that if the liver spot proves to be esophageal cancer, we are back to stage 4 and that changes everything again.  Rather than heroic efforts aimed at a cure, they switch to less heroic or more experimental efforts aimed at a miracle or making me comfortable.

OK, so I had to say that out loud.  But the fact is that the first biopsy came back negative and it could be lymphoma and it also could be some other benign growth.  But they must find out what it is and why it is growing to conclusively proceed with the planned chemotherapy regimen. 

Dr. Scott would not speculate at all.  I could not get him to say, 'If it is this then we'll do that'.  So I am still in the dark about the chemo. The liver biopsy will be re-performed first thing Tuesday morning. Until then, it's still one day at a time.







11 comments:

Matt DeVries said...

Chuck - we're praying for you and for the doctors to decide the best course of action.

Teresa L. Thome said...

Hey there... just checking in with Patrick Ziegler at the office. Oy... Oy... Oy... what a f*>@@ing pain in the ass. We are both so sorry that you are dealing with this. And we are both sending you uber love and light.

Fred Stella said...

How devastating. You are a man of infinite patience & great resolve.
Not much else can be said.

jubilee said...

Hi Chuck, it is me again from the north.

It is curious to me that the spot is larger, (so fast) and in your description about the biopsy leads me to ask this question. Your physician can only answer this of course.

You may ask if it is possible that when they did the needle biopsy, twice, (I am assuming it was a needle biopsy) that the area that "grew larger" is a small hematoma? (slight bleeding from the area that was punctured) Like a small pocket of blood, a bruise from the punctured area.

Of course they need to be sure.
This was my first thought, had to bring it up.
Best regards, Sharon

Unknown said...

Sending my love and blessings to you. <3 <3 <3

Unknown said...

unknown is emma again (when will i do it right?)

Betty said...

Talked with your mom at book club yesterday. I had not yet read this latest blog entry so she filled me in. Frustrating is a word that hardly describes what you must be feeling! Many positive thoughts out there for you Chuck. Hoping for the best possible news on Tuesday. Take care. Betty

Betty said...

Your mom was at book club yesterday and filled me in on the latest information. I had not yet read your latest blog entry. Frustrating is a word that can hardly describe what you must be feeling. All good and positive thoughts go out to you, Chuck. Hoping that you receive some good news on Tuesday. Betty

Graham said...

Hang in, Chuck! Thinking about you.

henry2u said...

Well......that kinda sucks! I think of you often, Chuck and am continuously beaming love and light your way! Hang in there, my friend.....
Love and hugs. T.

Nancy said...

Chuck - It's obvious what you need: House. We'd fly him in if we could. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow and praying for the best, benign results.