Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The party is cancelled

What party?

Well, I never even got to the part where I sent out the invitations.  It was supposed to be an "Eat, Drink & Be Merry for Tomorrow I Won't Have an Esophagus" party.  I thought it would be a fun way to bid adieu to a bit of extraneous anatomy.

At the meeting this morning with Dr. McCahill (surgical oncologist) he told me that he had created a special spot for me tomorrow in his surgical schedule.  You see, Dr. Scott, the chemotherapy guy, is just itching to get started on treating the lymphoma because of its super aggressive, lethal nature.  The trouble is that the chemo treatment for that will inhibit my body's ability to heal itself; it is designed to kill fast growing cells.  So it is important to take care of the also-aggressive esophageal tumor first so that I can heal up from surgery before the lymphoma slaughter begins.

Dr, McCahill, the party-wrecker, gave me the lowdown on what to expect from an esophagectomy.  Evidently the esophagus, this seemingly-important player in the gastrointestinal system is not all that critical.  Kind of like your appendix.  It is merely a tube and it functions like a dumbwaiter, delivering food from the kitchen, down to the dining room.  This surgery just relocates the dining room "upstairs", right next to the kitchen.  So post-surgical Chuck will have his stomach in his chest, sharing an efficiency ribcage apartment with his heart and lungs.  It'll be a bit noisy and crowded but the food will get there quicker.

 Earlier I had mentioned that there were 2 ways to accomplish this surgery.  Dr. Shabahang prefers the trans-thoracic approach and he made it sound pretty damned good.  You can see more of the terrain and pick out the bad stuff easier.  Dr. McCahill prefers the laparoscopic trans-hiatal approach. There are a couple of blind spots but the the healing is much faster and the  possible side effects are less risky.  The bottom line is that Dr. Scott wants me back in the saddle quicker and the trans-hiatal approach can be scheduled right away and the healing will go faster.  That, plus the fact that 70% of these surgeries are being done with this newer method and it has become more accepted as the standard, preferred treatment.

So, I have been squeezed on to tomorrow afternoon's schedule at St. Mary's for this 6-8 hour surgery and I'll be shacking up on the 4th floor of Lacks Cancer Center for a couple weeks following.  The average is 11 days and the record is 7 days.  I'd think about trying to smash that record except the people at Lacks are so nice and they give me everything I need at the press of a button; very science fiction.

So at some point, the party will be rescheduled under a new name: the "Who Needs a Damned Esophagus Anyway?" party.  See you there!

12 comments:

Betsy said...

You make it sound like we should all be getting this surgery.

Abby said...

lol @ Betsy

Bob Toft said...

I won't be there for the main course, but I'll sure be there to help clear the dishes after the meal has been digested, so to speak. I'll check with St.M. in a couple of days to see when you are having the first pajama party and then I'll pop in.

I'm sending full energy bursts your way, dear friend. Trust the force!

Bob

Laurie Cirivello said...

love the upstairs /downstairs dining room explanation. I'll be at Lacks tomorrow and will send positive energy over toward the surgery area.
You are in good hands and the 4 lacks folks will do their best to spoil you. Be well, friend. You're in my thoughts.

Teresa L. Thome said...

Sending uber-good vibes, love and light... and cyber hugs, too!

Teresa

Rich said...

The shorter path to the stomach gives new meaning to "fast food".
Rich

Nancy said...

I saw my doctor today and my supposed acid reflux led us to the topic of esophageal cancer. He mentioned that there are two cases in which a new faux-esophagus has been inserted (albeit a shorter dumbwaiter than the original) using stem cell technology. Both have been successful. You've no doubt already read about this. It just shows how new things are on the horizon. Good luck tomorrow!

RLW said...

I love the way you've chosen to keep us informed. I agree with your philosophy that de-mystifying cancer helps us make more informed choices & helps eleviates fear & your disclaimer on the religious side of well wishes is lovingly shared with us. Again, I drive past the house at least twice a week & if you, Mary or the girls need anything please let me know. (I'm not sure if you still have 2 at home or not). xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Chuck, you're amazing! Sending good, good, good, good vibrations...
Maggie

Lee Ferraro said...

shit, I forget to read your blog for a day and I miss the new news. OH well, my head will hit the pillow knowing that you've made another incredible step forward.

And here's another good news recovery story. My neighbor went to the hospital sunday cuz he was dizzy and slurring his speech. Immediately diagnosed with a mass on his brain. Surgery 24 hours later and the tumor was completely removed. He is up and walking today, coming home Saturday. As they say, "the miracles of modern medicine" - they're happening everywhere.

Nancy said...

Friday update: All's well. After a 10-hour surgery Friday ending at 11pm, Chuck is recovering in the Hauenstein ICU and will be moved to St. Mary's when the time is right. Apparently the esophagus came out smoothly in the first 5 hours, but the reconnecting work was a bugger. Continue to send good vibes!

N. said...

Oops. Surgery was Thursday.